When you elected me to be the Algonquin Township Highway Commissioner you knew what you were getting – a no nonsense guy who was just going to call it down the middle and tell it like it is. As an elected official I have come to expect people are going to write some nasty things and frankly, that’s ok. It’s a good thing. It helps you focus and reevaluate your decision making process. You also knew I would keep my promises to all of you and I have. No pension, no healthcare, and I term limited myself.
What the Northwest Herald has done with respect to the Algonquin Township government is unethical. So many “journalists” wonder why the media has such a low approval rating but they have no one to blame but themselves. The readership continues to decline but the paper has no one to blame but itself. Look no further than the paper today:
The Northwest Herald has done a maniacal job of spinning a story with half truths and flat out refusing to cover the good things we have done in Algonquin Township worthy of CNN or MSNBC.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on the Algonquin Township Highway Department Tax Cut? The Northwest Herald has done tax cut stories on many municipalities – but not ours and that is on purpose.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on the vastly improved Algonquin Township Highway Department recycling program? We take paint, electronics, and styrofoam and have improved traffic safety.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on the new Algonquin Township Highway Department website? We have the best township highway department website in Illinois.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on the Algonquin Township Highway Department posting all its bills online for inspection? We are the most transparent township highway department in Illinois.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on how the Algonquin Township Highway Department has spent 56.1 percent of its budget through nine (9) months of the fiscal year (even with legal issues)? This is on purpose – this doesn’t fit the Northwest Herald Algonquin Township narrative.
- Where is the Northwest Herald story on employee salaries being posted online? Again, it doesn’t fit the Northwest Herald narrative.
All of these good news stories about how things are actually getting better at the Algonquin Township Highway Department; however, that doesn’t fit the narrative of the reporters and editors at the Northwest Herald. How shameful! How unethical! How biased! The Northwest Herald said it themselves – drama.
The issue with all of this is how so many people refuse to recognize the problem we inherited at the highway department. Whether it be local politicians, the Townships of Illinois (TOI) organization, or our local media – they all refuse to acknowledge the reality that we have real problems to solve. I challenge all of you to take a look at the blatant bias of the Northwest Herald’s coverage.
Maybe the Northwest Herald will do a story about the beehives we plan to install on township property… this is much more of the “real news” that needs to be covered. Never mind putting your personal corvette on the township IPASS account.
I have a lot more to say about this.